How to Get A CDL License
Worrying about how to get a CDL license is normal, especially if you consider the process long and complex.
Being a commercial vehicle driver has lately tuned into an interesting position within transportation companies, not only because of the vacant jobs in the field, but also because the profession lets you earn a considerable amount of money in a relatively short period of time. You also have the chance to travel a lot and see beautiful and interesting places within the country or outside the borders.
Of course, there are certain requirements you have to meet before you reach this point. First of all, you have to be 18 years old in order to own an interstate driving license. If you’re interested in how to get a CDL license for international routes, you have to wait until you reach 21 years of age.
Assuming this condition is answered, the next step for you to become a professional driver is to get an appointment at the local DMV Office. They will give you all the information you need and all the papers required in order to fill in your application.
Here is a list with the papers and documents you need to prepare before we move forward in the process of discovering how to get a CDL license.
- Proof of residence;
- Your current driving license for non-commercial vehicles, if you have one;
- Birth certificate;
- A photo of you, alone, in plain light and in a position that makes it possible to distinguish your physical features;
- Social security number;
- Drug test results;
- Results of the psychological examination organized by DOT (Department of Transportation);
- Official papers from a driving school showing that you have passed the complete CDL exam: the general knowledge test and the skills test;
– Eventual endorsement test results (those additional tests that allow you to drive in special conditions: heavy trucks, more then 26,000 pounds, transporting hazardous materials, etc.);
– Police driving records – you shouldn’t have any past convictions for driving, otherwise, you may be denied your CDL license.
– Papers attesting your medical insurance, your vehicle insurance and the maintenance of your equipment in case you own the vehicle you want to drive; if you are a simple employee, these papers will be the concern of your employer.
If you’re interested in how to get a CDL license when you have diabetes, the answer is simple: ever since 2005, when president Bush signed the law named “Diabetes Exemption Program”, people diagnosed with diabetes have the right to obtain a CDL license in any USA state, on the condition that they prove to have a regular driving license and that they have been able to control their condition throughout the last three months. Before this law was adopted, people who suffered from diabetes were obliged to prove the possession of a driving license for a minimum period of three years.
An important aspect to be covered is how to get a CDL license if you have a previous DUI or DWI conviction (your license has been suspended because of driving under alcohol influence).
The first step is to hire a specialized lawyer. He can help you obtain attenuating circumstances and prove that you realize what you did was wrong and your behavior has improved, meaning that you will never drive after drinking or taking hallucinogen substances ever again.
Of course, a lot of other things can be said on how to get a CDL license, but the Internet is an excellent source of information, and there is no doubt it will help you find all the answers you need.